2 Beer Guys Blog

Welcome to the 2 Beer Guys Blog! Here, you will be able to read our stories and adventures as we travel through the world of craft beer.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Watch City 02154



Tonight, following Curly Stout's suggestion, we met up at the Watch City Brewery in Waltham. We hadn't heard much about the brewery, although their Hop Explosion IPA has garnered quite a bit of press.

The beers that we, as a group, sampled tonight included:
Chocolate Thunder Mocha Porter (on cask), Father Time Winter Ale 2006, Midnite Munich Lager, Biking Bobs Bohemian Pilsner, Titan Ale, Hops Explosion IPA, and the Moody Street Stout
Sean and I both started off with the Hop Explosion, and both agreed that "Hop Explosion" might have been a bit of a stretch for the name of this beer. Due to the balance in the beer, the hops weren't nearly as pronounced as say as in the Leatherlips IPA, which comes in at a lower IBU count, but provides much less malt character and is therefore much more bitter. Next, Sean had the Father Time Winter Ale, which I was surprised by given his well-documented displeasure with Harpoon's Winter Warmer, a similarly spiced ale. It wasn't as spicy however, but the nutmeg presence could be detected. The malty finish masked most of the nutmeg overtones, making it a much more drinkable winter ale.

My next selection was the Bohemian Pilsner. My expectations for this one were based on our experience with the same style beer brewed by Harpoon President Dan Kenary. Having greatly enjoyed that offering, I had high expectations, and I was not disappointed. A significant malt presence on the nose hinted at the smooth finish to come, accompanied by a sweet, yet balanced taste.

We followed those up by the Titan Ale and the Midnite Munich Lager respectively, and we were again both pleased with our choices. I was surprised by the character displayed by the Munich Lager, which was much more reminiscent of an Octoberfest style lager than a typical light lager. When the glass arrived and the contents were dark, I knew I was in for something special. Apparently "Midnite" wasn't just a clever name.

Overall, we would have to say we enjoyed our visit to Watch City, although for us, given it's distant location and more favorable local selections, we probably won't be making a return visit any time soon. That isn't to take anything away from Watch City, merely to say that we are very fortunate to have many fine choices closer to home. You stay classy, Waltham.

4 Comments:

  • At Friday, February 2, 2007 at 6:34:00 AM EST, Blogger Ignace said…

    Good post but in the section listing the beers I wanted to find links to more information about the beer and maybe a picture.

    Why am I being difficult? Because I want this to be the best beer blog at your end of the big drink.

    Big drink... it's Friday... time to go out and prowl for some beer.

     
  • At Friday, February 2, 2007 at 9:55:00 AM EST, Blogger Andy said…

    A thank you to the Beer guys, my wife and Wood and Cat for making the field tirp last night! Exploring new brewpubs is always a good thing. If I lived in waltham, I'd be happy to have it nearby, but it wasn't special enough to go out of my way for again.

    I can't wait to share the Beer Guys' generous samples of the Double and Oaked Bastards!!!

     
  • At Friday, February 2, 2007 at 10:11:00 AM EST, Blogger Ian said…

    Ignace, your prayers have been answered. I've included links to the reviews of each of the beers on ratebeer.com, added their logo, and a link to their website.

     
  • At Saturday, February 3, 2007 at 10:25:00 AM EST, Blogger Ignace said…

    Thank you kindly, good sir. I have looked these up and it appears that there are quite a few that are not widely known, apparently. You guys really are on the cutting edge of the beer exploration experience!

    The rated beers are above average though not spectacular. But, it certainly is not bad and well worth the experience of getting to know it. Wish I could get my grubby mits on a few of these.

    Great update, good value. Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home