2 Beer Guys Blog

Welcome to the 2 Beer Guys Blog! Here, you will be able to read our stories and adventures as we travel through the world of craft beer.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

so what was your first time?

i've been thinking about relationships lately. no no, not that type of relationship silly. i've been thinking abotu our relationships with beer. it seems like we all have a common thread of going through the initial phase of college drinking (i.e. cheap, readily available and what everyone around you seems to approve of) {hmm, that sounds more like the other kind of relationships, huh}, then sometime after college as we get jobs and have more disposable income we dump that cheap beer and start a beautiful long-term relationship with quality beer. beer that loves you back. beer that doesn't leave you empty and hollow. with a little thought i was able to pinpoint the very beginning of my new relationship with beer. here's my story, what was yours?

it was about 2 years after college. i was living at home for the summer and getting set to go off to graduate school (to be a guidance counselor, no less. lasted one semester...) and had plenty of time to hang out with my old high school buddies. one evening while enjoying a local pub's 10 cent wing night, a friend of mine cajoled me into trying a sip of his guinness, which i had always scorned as being nasty (hey i was young and dumb, forgive me). surprisingly, i kind of enjoyed the taste, it was not as bitter and nasty as the dark appearance had led me to believe. i was intrigued...

about a week later my friend tim and i met up with a couple of girls at a bar in kingston, ny. tonight, i was fated to score. little did i know, it would be with beer, not the girl ;) for some reason, i felt like trying something new (it must have been what guinness had awakened in me). i saw the bartender pour a pint of pete's wicked ale. i'd never seen pete's before, but it looked great. dark, with a nice head, but not as thick as guinness. something in me decided this was a beer that i had to try. this was a beer that a guy who scored with chicks drank. so i ordered a pete's wicked, put the creamy head to my lips and took a tentative sip. my god, i thought. what have i done? i've been depriving myself for years!!! you mean beer can taste like, well, it can have a taste? i thought of all those buds and coors lights i had downed over the last few years. i wanted to cry. luckily, i was comforted by the knowledge that i had found a new love. good beer. i finished my pint and ordered another. and another. they were each better than the first. the girls ended up going off somewhere else, but it didn't matter, because i already had a new passion in my life. sure, i still drank my share of cheap domestics over the next few years, it was cheap and i was poor, but i started trying more and more different kinds of beer and i'll always have a soft spot for guinness and pete's wicked ale for starting me down the path to beer nirvana. cheers!

andy

5 Comments:

  • At Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 11:37:00 AM EST, Blogger Ignace said…

    I didn't start drinking until I was in my early twenties. I was a really good boy. You didn't scrape me from the sidewalk after a night of binge drinking in the weekend. Nah ah.

    So my good buddy and I went to several places in Gent to see what a great place would be to have some beer and we ended up in the Waterhouse at the Beerside [no typo]. We stayed for a very long time. I never went through the stage of drinking the lagers. I hated them. I only drank craft beers, of which we are so richly blessed, and I had just about every beer in the house. A great time for me. Very many happy memories.
    It introduced me to people from just about all over the world including some people I got to know in a surprisingly different capacity [which I won't go into here].

    Good beer and genuine love. If you can find that in your life, you can consider it a success. (*)

    Ignace

    (*) Halfway there

     
  • At Saturday, February 10, 2007 at 9:36:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This brought a tear to my eye, Andy. It really did. I'm always such a sap for romanace stories.

     
  • At Saturday, February 10, 2007 at 5:24:00 PM EST, Blogger Andy said…

    You're a lucky man, Ignace to have been able to grow up without the influence of the american colossal bland brewer!

     
  • At Saturday, February 10, 2007 at 5:24:00 PM EST, Blogger Andy said…

    You're a lucky man, Ignace to have been able to grow up without the influence of the american colossal bland brewer!

     
  • At Sunday, February 11, 2007 at 9:02:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would have to say that my first taste of any kind of worthy beer was Guinness. I was 21, at Pleasure Island w/ my ex-husband and some friends and the goal was not to actually enjoy the beer but to impress those I was with into thinking I was a bad ass beer drinker. I hated the Guinness, but drank it anyway.
    My interest in craft beer didn't come until I moved to New England. It was a whole new world of beer and the one that started my exploration was Sam Adams Summer. This gave me a love of hefeweizen and from there the experimenting increased. And the rest....history.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home