2 Beer Guys Blog

Welcome to the 2 Beer Guys Blog! Here, you will be able to read our stories and adventures as we travel through the world of craft beer.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Harpoon St Patty’s day festival



Friday, March 9th was Harpoon’s St. Patty’s day festival. I had missed the Brown Ale release the night before as I had to work. I was definitely excited to be going to this event and be accompanied by the 2 beer guys, and Thirsty Beard on such a festive occasion. As we entered the tent we were swept into a wave of happy beer lovers and were herded through the brewery and into a sea of green clad “beerites”.

We quickly acquired several beer tickets and took no time finding our respective beer choices. I chose the Hibernian, an Irish red style beer. It was very yummy and quickly became my second choice as well. Thirsty Beard chose a smorgasbord of IPA, Brown, and the Raspberry. Sean wanted to try the Brown again and of course had IPA. Ian stuck with his favorite….Harpoon IPA…the favorite of many distinguished beer drinkers.

While we were super happy with the beer, the brewery tour left little to be desired. No don’t misunderstand me, Fred was extremely well versed in beer knowledge and is well respected as a brewer, he brewed the famed English Style Old Ale. For your info, this is one of Hops favorite beers. Anyway, this guy was not the best tour guide ever…to put it mildly. We felt like pulling our hair out by the end of the tour and were very disappointed that we were missing an Irish bag piping group! If any of the other people that were on the tour were new to the beer world, I hope this guy didn’t turn them off with too many in depth comments.!

As the night went on we enjoyed our beer, partook of some wonderful sausages and listened to a band called Joshua Tree. They rocked the tent! Our most exciting moment of the night was when some random guy threw a fry at a girl’s breast. Sean was very noble and told the guy to apologize to the woman. Apparently he didn’t realize what he had done, but nevertheless, Sean made it known that the guy was a jerk and he should grovel for forgiveness from this girl. We were all a bit scared, as the girl was donning a look that could kill. All in all…another amazing evening at a Harpoon Event. If you havn’t been to Harpoon yet, you must go…and soon.

Op uw gezondheid, Amber, Beergirl

3 Comments:

  • At Friday, March 16, 2007 at 8:14:00 AM EDT, Blogger Ignace said…

    I'm just plain jealous I could not have been there myself. By this time I've grown so accustomed to the specialty beers that when a new one is presented we almost approach it with a clinical appraisal. There's nothing wrong with that when assessing a brew but really, that's not what enjoying beer is about. I'm a bit orphaned now that Gert's inimitable beer house has been left to somebody else.
    The somebody else means well but... the differences are glaringly obvious when you've had a chance to compare.

    I'm not at all surprised at Sean's chivalrousness [I hadn't planned on actually using that word today, I almost sprained a finger typing it]. That and a propensity for strong-headedness is part of the man's make up.
    I dread what I would have said in the same circumstances. There may have been a flippant side to it, if I know myself at all.

    This story reminds me that I really need to go out more. I hear there are some good women to be had in Maine.

    The signature of this [and other] post[s] is particularly touching.

    Oep ui muilke, meiske :)

     
  • At Friday, March 16, 2007 at 9:23:00 AM EDT, Blogger Ian said…

    Now you must indulge us all and share what "Oep ui muilke, meiske" means!

     
  • At Friday, March 16, 2007 at 12:02:00 PM EDT, Blogger Ignace said…

    It is a bad phonetic transcription of what it sounds like in Ghent dialect. It's a very informal and quite amiable way of saying 'Op uw gezondheid' :-)

    It makes no sense to translate it literally, but it would go something like: 'to your face' [the reference is to a dialect word for face which, it's sad but true, I have no word for in my personal English vocabulary], which does not begin to cover the sentiment that it is meant to convey.

    'meiske' is the dialect form of 'meisje' = 'girl'.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home