2 Beer Guys Blog

Welcome to the 2 Beer Guys Blog! Here, you will be able to read our stories and adventures as we travel through the world of craft beer.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Do you do the brew?



On Saturday, Andy and I decided to met at his house and brew a tasty Double IPA.

After previously locating a recipe on the web and purchasing the 18 pounds of malt, Andy started the boiling process during my travels to his house.

Once I arrived, our goals was to reach 168 degrees for water that was going to mix with the cracked grain. The hope was to release all of the sugars from the grain to make our wort. This wort would then be boiled in the kettle with a total of 4 ounces of Chinook hops.

After the a brewing process was complete, we cooled down the beer and moved into the primary fermenter. We added the California Ale V and we ready to end for the day.

Please check out some pictures of the brewing day.

Gallery

(Unfortunately, during the cooling process, we melted one of the hoses. Strangely, it still worked.)

During the brewing process, there is a lot of wait time. While we watched the Redsox roll over the Orioles, we sampled Andy's first IPA that he brewed. He was nervous, but it was pretty good. We also enjoyed a Southern Tier Ipa, Sebago Red Ale, and Founders Centennial Ipa.


Now to the fun part. Since this is our own brew, we decided to give this a unique name. We decided to name this beer the happy "Ignace Ogre".



Ian helped us design a label for this beer.




If you are interested in viewing the exact recipe, please use this link: Recipe


UPDATED Label:

Ryan requested the label to be updated, so Ian worked some magic. BTW.... congrats Ian and Kristen.



SECOND UPDATED Label:

Check this one out!!!

10 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 10:31:00 AM EDT, Blogger hefeweizen_hunny said…

    Congratulations boys on a job well done, espcially to Andy, who I know took on the brunt of the work. You guys must be so excited about your finished product!

     
  • At Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 12:01:00 PM EDT, Blogger Andy said…

    thanks, we are really looking forward to it. but i have to give full credit to sean, this was a team effort!

     
  • At Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 2:58:00 PM EDT, Blogger Ignace said…

    Now, tell me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the ogre find an ogre girl in the end?

    What am I looking for here? One: I'm single but my own charming and devilishly handsome self or, I find the perfect sweetheart to take up her place in the empty hollow of my hear, but both of us look like monsters.

    How's that for a choice? I bet not many people get to land between a rock and a hard place like that everyday, do they?

    I feel I'm making progress, this is the first caricature of me. I'm moving up in the world.

    Life is good.

     
  • At Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 2:59:00 PM EDT, Blogger Ignace said…

    hear = heart

    What a typo to make *groan*

     
  • At Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 3:04:00 PM EDT, Blogger Ignace said…

    The thing is: although I love this label with all my heart and I am truly flattered, it does contain some images, or parts of them, which I can't help but assume they fall under the label of intellectual property.
    And wouldn't it be silly to get into legal trouble over that, especially if the beer picks up, which I hope with every beer loving fibre in my body it does, and the site gets more recognition.

    Another suggestion, which you will use to whatever extent you deem fit and appropriate is this place: http://beerbuilder.brewtopia.com.au/ where you can customize to your hearts content [well, that's taking it too far, but you can go a long way].

    It's a suggestion.

     
  • At Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 8:00:00 PM EDT, Blogger Ian said…

    Ryan makes a lovely fairy godmother, don't you think?

     
  • At Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 10:27:00 PM EDT, Blogger hefeweizen_hunny said…

    For real. I never knew Ryan had such a nice rack!

     
  • At Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 10:36:00 PM EDT, Blogger hefeweizen_hunny said…

    By the way, I think I just realized that this is not the beer you've been keeping at your house all this time, Andy? If that's the case and you and Sean-o brewed it all in one day together, then I'm terribly sorry, Sean, for the "especially Andy" bit. I thought this was what we've been seeing pics of all along. Props to you both in equal measure!

     
  • At Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 8:01:00 AM EDT, Blogger Andy said…

    yep, this is a brand new batch that we whipped up saturday! don't worry, sean only cried a little.

     
  • At Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 10:37:00 AM EDT, Blogger 2 Beer Guys-Sean said…

    **Snif** **Sniff**

    It's ok this time.

    I almost jumped off the 1st floor window ledge..

    Sean

     

Post a Comment

<< Home