2 Beer Guys Blog

Welcome to the 2 Beer Guys Blog! Here, you will be able to read our stories and adventures as we travel through the world of craft beer.

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Why now Black Cow?



Many of you were there.. and don't agree, but it's still bothering me...

I do advocate checking for ID's and I am in complete understanding that under age drinkers try to sneak into places.

Why would an established restaurant, like the "Black Cow", feel the need to accost their customers?

OK. For those who were not there, after dinner at Joe's American Bar and Grill, we marched over to the Black Cow for a night cap and to watch the Sox and Patriots. We entered the restaurant and set a minor wager amongst friends (We set an over under for the amount of people that Amber would know in the Black Cow).

After locating a table, the waitress visited and took our order. At the same time, she verified everyone's age. OK. Things are going great. About 5 minutes later, the gruff manager came over to George and started muttering something and asked him for his ID. Well, it wasn't George that he wanted, he wanted the guy in orange with stripes. OK, so that was me. WTF. We just had our waitress over and checked our ID, now the German Gestapo is visiting to check again? I politely obliged, while he rambled on about some under cover cop story and being busted three years ago.

As I mentioned before, I don't have a problem verifying my identification. For those who know me, I am the first one to pull out my ID without being asked by the initial server. But, to come over and require a prostate exam to have a beer is unacceptable.

I have a suggestion for you, Mr/Mrs Black cow. If you are worried about your license, post someone at the beginning of the bar area that is old enough and qualified to check identification. Funny thing, this check will only be required ONE time.

Unfortunately, this hassle also meant that it took over 20 minutes to receive our drinks. Very unacceptable. It's a shame. I don't have any desire to return to the Black Cow. They have a great selection of beers on draft (Harpoon IPA, Waschusetts BlueBerry, SeaDog Rasbperry Wheat, Old Specked hen (George's and Brace's favorite), Magic Hat #9, Sam Summer, and many more).

Sean
Drink Craft Beer, You've earned it!! (but not at the Black Cow)

6 Comments:

  • At Sunday, August 12, 2007 at 1:40:00 PM EDT, Blogger Unknown said…

    I simply must comment on our encounter with The Black Cow's manager on Friday night. I agree with Sean that rechecking our IDs was uncalled for and I'm disappointed that the event occured. I must draw attention to a few items that Sean neglected to mention:
    *The manager initially rechecked my ID and then realized that he was supposed to be checking the ID of a man with orange and white stripes. I was wearing a yellow dress shirt. This only goes to show that the manager wasn't all that bright to start with.
    *The manager continued to babble about undercover cops and sting operations. First of all, do you think we really cared?! Second of all, HE'S THE MANAGER! If he wanted to recheck our IDs, he's got the authority...just do it!
    *After the ordeal was over and we'd just about finished up for the night, a man who'd been sitting by himself a table away from us stopped by our table, put a $20 in my hand, and apologized that I'd gotten recarded by the manager. He then left the bar area. Now let's see here...was there before we got there and stayed the entire time, gave us his spare chairs, didn't seem interested in chatting up anyone, was positioned so he could see the entire room but not necessarily the TVs, and knew that I'd been double carded in error...can we draw conclusions?? Pretty much the way I see it, I got paid off by the undercover cop that was monitoring the bar that night.
    Yes, yes, it was an inconvenience, and yes, the manager was an idiot. But all in all, we had a good time with great friends and good beer!

     
  • At Sunday, August 12, 2007 at 2:50:00 PM EDT, Blogger Hops said…

    Well, mr. sean...it was annoying that you got carded. No one likes being the one singled out, as E said as we walked to the car..totally get that! And the amazing amount of time it took to get our drinks, especially when the two separate and extra large party of super flirty older women got their drinks LONG before we did was tres annoying! But...it was pretty cool that the cop, or whoever he was, gave us some money for drinks. I think he recognized that it was crappy for our party (he certainly was NOT going to card the parties sitting near us!!) and i think thats kinda cool! He didn't have to do that, but he did! But, just one questions...why would he be looking for underage drinking at the Black Cow...little swanky for the underage crowd...would've thought Michael's or Rosie's(for example) would've been a better place to double check. Just sayin! Dont give up on the black cow though...tap selection is fabulous!!

     
  • At Sunday, August 12, 2007 at 9:04:00 PM EDT, Blogger 2 Beer Guys-Sean said…

    Yes, George and Kat.

    Your points are well noted.

    I just want to say that you can spray rose water on shit and think it smells nice, but it's still shit.

    I am done with the cow for now.. and anyone else can go there... that's a ok with me.... I would rather drink BL from a dog bowl with Murray.

     
  • At Sunday, August 12, 2007 at 9:28:00 PM EDT, Blogger Kat said…

    Well Sean,

    I must say. I was going to comment earlier to say "I didn't realize you were that upset. I'm sorry you felt wronged and I understand you not wanting to return" but I didn't get around to actually blogging. But thanks so much for calling me out and reaming me for something I didn't even say.

    On that note I'll throw in my extra 2 cents now since I've already "said so much". I think your portrayal of the event is a bit extreme. The manager came over and asked nicely to George's ID and your ID again. He explained his reasoning and as the wife of a small business owner I can respect his need to be cautious (one overlooked thing could be disasterous). We don't know why he came over. Maybe there was an undercover cop who made him do it. Maybe the waitress just isn't used to seeing the old MA licenses so wanted it double checked. Was it an inconvenience? Sure. Did you get harrassed by the "German Gestapo" or recieve a "prostrate exam"? NO.

    All in all it WAS a generally pleasant night out with friends.

     
  • At Sunday, August 12, 2007 at 9:29:00 PM EDT, Blogger 2 Beer Guys-Sean said…

    Sorry Kat, I meant Kristen, who is hops.. my b

     
  • At Monday, August 13, 2007 at 9:34:00 AM EDT, Blogger 2 Beer Guys-Sean said…

    HA HA HA... you guys are awesome.

    I love comments to a blog.

    In all honesty, I intentionally left out pieces of information in the initial blog.

    Why would I do that? Well, I wanted to stress my point of view. Humm... very strange thing to do.

    I don't see it as strange. I felt slighted and wanted to leave then. If you don't believe me, ask Amber. I wasn't a happy camper.

    Yes, I am glad that we were among friends, but I don't want to be in a place that I don't feel comfortable in. I am sure that everyone else feels the same.

    Yeah.. the cow's got great beers, but there are 1,000s Cows out there. Maybe I will go there next year.. but I'm done with them for now...

    The second reason I wrote the blog this way... was because I knew how everyone would respond.. (I LOVE IT!!! and appreciate it!!!) I had my response already thought up before the blog was finished...

    [Also... without a little controversy, there are few comments to blogs....]

    My only mistake was mentioning Kat. Once this was pointed out, I actually responded to the blog without seeing Kat's response. Kat... you beat me to the punch.. check it out.. it was posted 1 min apart... in this case, it was within 30 seconds.


    ANYWAYS... the point is..

    If you are a mom and pop shop... (how can you be a mom and pop shop with more than one restaurant... Aren't you a small empire at that point)....

    If this was a serious issue to them, they could have handled this better in a few ways...

    1) Post someone at the beginning of the bar and card everyone.

    2) Hire waitresses that can check ID's the FIRST time... and have them check everyone

    3) If you hassle someone, make sure that they don't have to wait an extra 20 mins to be served.

    Is this all too hard? No.
    Is this something reasonable to expect as a customer? Yes

    Peace out homies..

    Sean
    Drink Craft Beer, You've Earned it!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home