2 Beer Guys Blog

Welcome to the 2 Beer Guys Blog! Here, you will be able to read our stories and adventures as we travel through the world of craft beer.

Monday, January 22, 2007

The man's best friend can finally enjoy a man's favorite drink





There's nothing like a fresh cold one after a hard days work. (Well, some may say that I have never experienced a hard day's work, but lets imagine that I have.) Why not enjoy a tasty treat with your best friend?

Well, if I had a dog (and I have no plans to..) It would be fun to enjoy a tasty brew with my puppy. Maybe Murray (our 2BeerGuys furry friend) would enjoy a tasty treat? Time will only tell.

Please enjoy this article...

A cold one for man's best friend

POSTED: 11:12 a.m. EST, January 22, 2007

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) -- After a long day hunting, there's nothing like wrapping your paw around a cold bottle of beer.

So Terrie Berenden, a pet shop owner in the southern Dutch town of Zelhem, created a beer for her Weimaraners made from beef extract and malt.


"Once a year we go to Austria to hunt with our dogs, and at the end of the day we sit on the veranda and drink a beer. So we thought, my dog also has earned it," she said.
Berenden consigned a local brewery to make and bottle the nonalcoholic beer, branded as Kwispelbier. It was introduced to the market last week and advertised as "a beer for your best friend."

"Kwispel" is the Dutch word for wagging a tail.


The beer is fit for human consumption, Berenden said. But at $2.14 (or 1.65 euro) a bottle, it's about four times more expensive than a Heineken.

This was reported by the Associated Press.

3 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 8:18:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hahhah! I was just about to post this same article. You beat me to it Sean. Maybe we can find some of this and Murray can sample it. We already know he enjoys regular beer.

     
  • At Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 9:14:00 AM EST, Blogger Ignace said…

    I was going to list this here too. Sean's sense for the beer story is something that's going to take effort to beat.

    The Dutch guy, as Dutch guys go, is a mighty fine example of the mercantile spirit of a people. Beer for dogs, instant hit.
    Personally, I find that beer without alcohol is not deserving of the name, it's a cultural bias. We have it here too, I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. OTOH, giving an animal strong beer however, would induce weird behavior. Seeing how people react when they've had too much, it's probably the wiser choice.

    We should do an alcoholic version for pigs. So that, when they are ready for slaughter, they arrive at the butcher's pre-marinated.
    It's just an idea.

     
  • At Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 1:10:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ignace, that is too funny!
    But, the way I see it, beer has to be alcohol free for dogs. Sure...they can have the alcohol, but I don't think it's right. We make the choice to drink it and just giving it to our dogs...well, they trust us blindly. Why create a health problem for them? We do it knowingly. To have them do it unknowingly would be mean. That's how I feel anyhow. And, yes...I wrote about Murray drinking the beer I spilled, but he got to it when I didn't know about it. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home